Re: Question About International Access to University's Databases Dan Lester 29 Oct 2003 18:27 UTC

Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 7:25:37 AM, you wrote:

WP> Now, a new satellite location is opening up, overseas, in a foreign country.
WP> My question is, will the University be in compliance with the database
WP> licensing agreement if students in the new satellite location overseas have
WP> access to the databases?

The simple and obvious answer is that it all depends on what your
contract says.  If your contract says "all branch campuses" without
numerical or other limits you might be OK. Of course I'm not a lawyer,
either.

WP> To put it another way, does taking your electronic subscriptions overseas
WP> and out of the USA generally require any special arrangements with the
WP> database vendors?

It may. They may only have rights for redistribution in certain
countries.

However....this is all very weird and nonsensical at times.  For
example, for some of our eresources we pay extra for a branch campus
that has a few hundred students and is maybe twenty miles away. For
others we don't.  But to make it really strange, all of our agreements
allow authenticated users to access from anywhere, as we have a large
number of distance students around the world.  This means that we pay
extra for Susie Student to access the database from the branch campus.
But we don't pay extra for her to access the same database from her
house across the street from the branch campus, or from any other spot
in the world.

Gee, it would be nice if the world always made sense, wouldn't it?

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA