Re: printed serials list Radcliff, Joyce 09 Oct 2003 20:25 UTC

Are you all finding that it is important to keep old titles when the
title changes for the printed serials list?

Joyce

-----Original Message-----
From: Paula Gresen [mailto:gresenp@MAIL.STROSE.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 7:58 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: printed serials list

   At our library we've cut down on the cost of keeping a printed
serials list in a way that I thought I'd share with the list. Maybe this
would work for you too. This is for the portion of our collection that
we own in print. It's organized by title alphabetically so we've broken
down our list into individual letters, with each letter having its own
file. Also, the copies of the list are in 3 ring binders with the pages
in 3 ring binder plastic sheet protectors (so we don't have to three
hole punch each sheet).
   For instance, if I was making a change for Time, only "T" needs to be
printed out, rather than the entire list. That way you're not wasting
paper, toner, etc. printing out pages that don't have any changes. It
only takes me about 20 seconds to make the change, and only a couple of
minutes to take out the old sheets and insert the new. It's a lot
cheaper and quicker than the whole list, so it can also be done more
often so everything is more up-to-date. I think this printed list is
much clearer, quicker and much less confusing than the OPAC when it
comes to title changes, etc. It's invaluable when I need to do certain
projects in the stacks such as shifting. It's proved a valuable
convenience for patrons and staff alike with very little money or time
spend maintaining it.

Paula Gresen
Bindery Supervisor
Neil Hellman Library