CD-ROM Cataloging (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 03 Nov 2003 20:51 UTC

----------1
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:37:56 -0500
From: Konstantin Gurevich <KGurevich@library.rochester.edu>
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] CD-ROM cataloging

I think it depends upon the nature and contents of each particular CD-ROM. Some of them are true supplements, e.g. visuals for specific articles, or indexes, and should be cataloged as such. Others have very little relation to the serial title they come with, basically just taking advantage of the publisher's distribution channels; these should be cataloged separately, since their relationship to the serial title is not bibliographic. Still others are nothing but advertising, and we often toss them after checking with appropriate bibliographers.
    Hope this helps.

Konstantin Gurevich
Head, Serials Cataloging
Rush Rhees Library
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0055
Phone (585) 275-9452
E-mail: kgurevich@library.rochester.edu

>>> fc01@AUB.EDU.LB 11/03/03 10:52AM >>>
CD-ROMs that come with journal subscriptions :proceedings, projects, indexes volumes of a journal
How do we catalogue them ? I go for a new record for each CD-ROM .
Is that acceptable ? do we have to catalogue them as supplements, comes with, or attachments
 instead ?

Your kind advise will be a great help to us

Fatme Charafeddine
Serials Librarian/University Libraries
American University of Beirut

----------2
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:00:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Shadle <shadle@u.washington.edu>

Fatme -- I think the factors that catalogers use to make this decision for
print accompanying materials can be applied to accompanying CD-ROMs.  Per
CONSER Cataloging Manual 17.1:

Factors that affect cataloging

The two most important factors that determine the number of records
created are:
* Whether the titles are the same or different
  and
* Whether all titles share the same numbering scheme or each has its own

Other factors that might influence the decision are:

* Whether the works are intended to be used together or whether they stand
alone as separate items
* Whether the items may be purchased separately
* The frequency of occurrence of the related item
* Whether or not both items have the same publisher
* The impact on serial check-in

Options for cataloging

Depending on the type of related work and the factors given above, related
items may be:
* Cataloged separately as serials, integrating resources, or monographs,
as appropriate
* Noted on the record for the serial (e.g., in the 310 frequency note, 525
supplement note, etc.)
* Not mentioned at all in the bibliographic record

CCM Module 17 has quite a bit of detail on how to handle supplemental
related works.  The most common cases I've seen and our typical cataloging
treatment decisions include:

* Supplemental CD-ROM

The CD-ROM contains supplemental material meant to be used with the
journal.  Most commonly I've seen non-print data (i.e., spreadsheets,
databases, maps or mapping data, audio or video files).  Even if these
regularly appear with a journal, I make a 525 note on the serial record,
rather than cataloging them separately.  Examples:
 525  Occasional issue accompanied by supplemental CD-ROM.
 525  Issues for 2002- accompanied by audio compact discs.
Just as with a print supplement, if they have a consistent title, I'd use
a 740 02 to provide access to the title and I'd only catalog them
separately if they have their own distinct numbering scheme.

* Full-text substitute

Oftentimes, PDF (either single, issues, set of issues or archive)
accompany a journal.  In this case, I look at frequency.  If it appears
that the CD-ROM will be continue to be published on a regular basis, then
I will create a separate record.  If not, then I will note on existing
bib something like:  500  Occasional issue accompanied by archival CD-ROM.
This is not a universal practice.  I have seen a number of libraries
(including CONSER libraries) catalog these separately, even if there's no
evidence more will be published in the future.

* Unrelated materials

Sometimes the publisher just sends stuff, either useful stuff (maybe a
membership directory) or useless stuff (ads).  Any of the three cataloging
options could apply.  Useless stuff we don't even note.  Useful stuff we
will note or (if it's important enough) catalog as appropriate.

Hope this helps.  Will be interested to see if others have specific
guidelines they can point you to.  --Steve

    Steve Shadle           shadle@u.washington.edu  *******
    Serials Cataloger                                *****
    University of Washington Libraries, Box 352900    ***
    Seattle, WA 98195               (206) 685-3983     *