Re: Electronic Databases Question Oberg, Steve 17 Dec 2003 17:18 UTC

Carol, Jean,

I would like to articulate a different perspective.  This "extra work"
is really an opportunity, a gift that's fallen in your lap!  So many
times technical services is not even considered capable of handling this
new kind of work and isn't even given a chance.  Technical services
folks, in my opinion, are great candidates for doing this
detail-oriented work.  Sure, it's extra work, but it also could be seen
as job security and an opportunity to stretch and expand your staff
skills into an area that is of predominant concern these days.  In other
words, arguably, this is where the action is at.  Don't dismiss this
chance to learn new things offhand, even if it means other, more
traditional tech. svcs. duties might be neglected.  Technical services
folks have valuable skills in organizing and maintaining information
that are too often overlooked in this new kind of work.  Be thankful you
were even asked.  I know a lot of people in technical services in other
libraries who are dying to be more involved in this work but are
preempted from or shut out of involvement.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Electronic Resources Librarian & Assistant Professor
Taylor University
http://www.tayloru.edu/library/

Editor, Bits & Bytes Column, _Serials Review_
http://sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00987913