Re: new Gift and Exchange discussion list Orion Pozo 23 Jan 2004 14:03 UTC

Dear Werner and Shixing,

I tend to disagree with you that a Gift and Exchange discussion group
would be a good place to post duplicates lists. I can see this as a
place to discuss exchange programs, but not to be an actual duplicates
exchange.

In my mind there are enough duplicates exchanges already in existence.
Birdie MacLennan maintains a website called Back Issues & Exchange
Services at

http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/backexch.html

which lists existing duplicates exchanges. BACKSERV and ALA/ALCTS
Duplicates Exchange Union (DEU) serve as general duplicates exchanges
and should be supported rather than starting up new ones.

I can see a need for more specialized subject exchanges like the
ASEE/ELD Duplicates Exchange which I coordinate. Groups of librarians
with specialized subject interests can find the volume of information on
DEU and BACKSERV daunting. The Gift and Exchange discussion group could
be a good place to set up such exchanges or to talk about ways to
improve the ones that already exist.

--
Orion Pozo, Collection Manager for Engineering
NCSU Libraries