Re: Letters of Reference Marilyn Miller 23 Feb 2004 20:48 UTC

I find this thread fascinating since I was not aware that this was
happening in the library world.  I do know why this sort of thing is
happening in general.  Several months ago I was talking with someone who is
job hunting in the business career world.  He told me that he cannot get a
reference from his previous employer because they are not allowed to give
references.  It seems that another former employee in the company sued his
former employer big-time because a bad reference was given and that person
did not get the job because of it.  So the blanket rule was made for
everyone in the company - no references are to be given.  What a shame that
in our litigation-happy world employers cannot obtain references for people
they are interested in hiring!   I will be looking forward to advice people
on this list give to job hunters so that I can pass it along to the
job-hunting person who first told me about this.

Marilyn Miller