Re: Letters of Reference Deborah Curry 05 Mar 2004 18:31 UTC

We're going through the process of a search now and
so this thread has been quite interesting.

I think the candidate should have explained what the situation was,
offered another credible reference and let the library take whatever
action it saw fit.  I don't think the Director should have contacted
the previous institution.  I do think that unethical. However, there is
nothing
wrong with telling a candidate that this needs to happen.  At that point
the candidate can expound on the situation or withdraw the application.

 I would hope that when a candidate becomes a finalist, Directors would
say that they need some verification of quality from former
 supervisors. I really don't think that's asking too much.

 Unfortunately, there are people out there who are not good at what they
do and are able, by some means, to go from job to job.  The previous
employer could have said quite a bit, by just saying that the candidate
worked at this institution for this time period and that any other
information had to come from Human Resources, or as I've been told, from
the institution's lawyers.  Frankly, that says quite a bit.
 And unfortunately, there are folks who write references that glow in
the dark for folks that turn out to be quite inept.  Sometimes we find
we just take chances.

                        deborah...
Deborah Curry
Coordinator, Technical Services