Re: reliable cataloging records? Steve Shadle 05 Apr 2004 21:24 UTC

Michael -- 040 OCLCQ means that the OCLC Quality Control Section has
edited the master record.  Could be for *any* number of reasons: link
maintenance, authority control, correcting errors, etc.  I wouldn't
consider it to "generally mean it is a reliable cataloging record" as they
could have been going in to add a link and wouldn't have pieces in hand to
verify other elements.  As a CONSER member, I would hope the 042 code
would be a more reliable indicator (but others with more experience may
not agree).  Obviously, whatever work they are doing on the record would
be accurate and follow current standards.  Hope this helps.  -Steve

    Steve Shadle           shadle@u.washington.edu  *******
    Serials Cataloger                                *****
    University of Washington Libraries, Box 352900    ***
    Seattle, WA 98195               (206) 685-3983     *