Re: Help with serials valuation John Lucas 15 Apr 2004 13:55 UTC

Stefanie:

to the previous year evaluation,  why not add the amount of your journal
/ database purchase orders ( that you create or come out of the budget
for you stuff) that you created that fiscal year?

But do not forget that if you have titles that you discard each year or
after X number of years, go back, find the amount you paid for that
year,    create an excell spread sheet and fill in the prices.

Then next year, you will have that list, of titles and fill in the
prices again and again, and again until sometime after the end of time
!

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262
JLUCAS@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU

>>> DUBOSES@MAIL.ECU.EDU 04/14/04 01:18PM >>>
Hi Elaine,

Talk about a reason to not want to take vacation...we've not done that
at
ECU since I've been here, but I would recommend taking the average
price of
a journal from the disciplines and multiply by the number of titles you
hold
in that subject.  Or perhaps you could take an average of prices in
your
library for each area and multiply by the total number of titles.

I have my own question to you, and it's off the topic of serials (my
apologies): I have to turn in our insurance value on our collection,
and
apparently we've always added just a percent increase each year.  It
seems
that there should be a better way to do this, but I haven't had the
time to
really look into it.  I'll most likely also post this question to the
CDL
listserv.

Good luck!

Stefanie