Re: Ideas for promoting and marketing the serials department Christopher Allen Waldrop 21 Apr 2004 16:03 UTC

I recently had the opportunity to talk to two groups of students
about their feelings about the library. One of the students
surprised me by saying that Google was easy and popular, but she
and her friends avoided using it for any real research because the
results were unreliable. She felt that resources like Proquest,
Infotrac, or any online journals that she accessed by going through
the library's web page were legitimate sources for research because
they were provided by the library. Some of her instructors
encouraged this by saying that any online sources used for research
had to be library-provided.

Visiting classes and giving a brief talk on using library
resources, including online journals, might be the best way to get
the word out. Or even just meet with instructors.

--On Wednesday, April 21, 2004 11:44 AM -0400 Emmett Denny

Christopher Allen Waldrop
Serials Coordinator
Order Services Department
Vanderbilt University Library