Re: Ideas for promoting and marketing the serials department Rosemary Burgos-Mira 21 Apr 2004 20:36 UTC

We have found that what the teaching faculty usually mean is that they do not want the students to just get articles from doing a "goggle" or "yahoo" search.  The articles that the students get from the specialized databases in the library are what the teaching faculty want the students to get. Have orientation classes so that both the faculty and students understand the difference.

Rosemary

Rosemary Burgos-Mira
Acquisitions/Gifts Librarian
Long Island University-CW Post
720 Northern Blvd.
Brookville, NY 11548
(516)299-3526-voice
(516)299-2470 -fax
rosemary.burgos-mira@liu.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of Emmett Denny
	Sent: Wed 4/21/2004 11:44 AM
	To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
	Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Ideas for promoting and marketing the serials department

	I have found through my work at one college and one university that
	instructors unwittingly hinder electronic serial usage.  So often students
	come into the library and are shown electronic journals and their response
	at times is: "My teacher said I could not use any sources off the Internet.
	It has to be paper."

	Emmett Denny
	Interim Head of Technical Services
	Florida A&M University