Re: Direct subscriptions Edwards, Mary 24 May 2004 19:24 UTC

Laura,

We use the direct subscription method to track our almost 290
subscriptions.  My boss keeps track of each subscription on a
spreadsheet, but there is no alerting mechanism for lapsed subscriptions
aside from (a) renewal notice -- sometimes lost, (b) looking at mailing
label to spot expiration date (usually tossed with plastic shipping
bag), or (c) seeing that we missed an issue.  I set up a card file to
keep track of the magazines when they come in, and for claiming purposes
when we miss an issue.  I only have time to go through the cards about
once a quarter and our students (who actually check the mags in when
they arrive) are not always careful to tell me about missing issues.
Claiming sometimes gets interesting.

I would love to have an automated serials tracking system, so I'd
suggest lobbying hard for one.  Better living through software.  Your
life will be much simpler.

Mary Edwards
Librarian
Art Institute of California - Los Angeles
2900 31st Street
Santa Monica, CA  90405
310-314-6154
meedwards@edmc.edu