Re: A & I Database title overlap program? DuBose, Stefanie 11 May 2004 18:43 UTC

Hi Sue,

There is a new service called Library Comparison Source ( www.lcsource.com )
which compiles reports comparing the title lists of different databases.  We
haven't looked at it in depth, but it certainly sounds interesting.
Currently, we have a reference librarian who is using MS Access to get this
information.

Good luck,

Stefanie

Stefanie DuBose
Head, Acquisitions
Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27258-4353
(p)252-328-2598
(f)252-328-4834
duboses@mail.ecu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Marshall, Susan [mailto:smarshall@MONTANA.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 1:46 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] A & I Database title overlap program?

Colleagues,

    I am trying to find out if there is a program available that will run a
comparison of titles indexed between two index and abstract databases.
This can be used as a collection development tool. For example, we
would like to know what percentage of overlap occurs between
the Anthropological Index Online and InfoTrac's OneFile.

I realize that other factors need to be considered when camparing
databases of this nature such as how a database is indexed, but for
a rough estimate of overlap it would be nice to have...

Anyone know of a tool that can do this?

Sue Marshall
Electronic Resources Librarian
Renne Library