Indexes Discarding Radcliff, Joyce 12 May 2004 21:14 UTC

Hello Colleagues,

How many of you are holding onto your Indexes (Readers Guide, Education,
etc.)?  I'm inclined to hold them since they come in handy when the
computers are down. Please give me your reasons to hold on to them.  We
stopped taking them in the late 90's.

Joyce

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of John Lucas
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 12:43 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Alert and a Question on Gastroenterology Clinics of
N.A.

Colleagues:

First off, the opinions below are my own and not of this instution or is
its policy.  (That said)

For those of us familiar with the Saunders (now Elsevier) ... Clinics of
North America, For at least 2 issues in the last 2 years  Vol 32 # 3
Sept. 2003 and now Vol. 33 # 1 March 2004,  the Gastroenterology Clinics
of North America have issued the regular BOUND issue and included an
Unbound Supplement !

v.  32 # 3 Theme = Pediatric Gastroenterology
                Supplement = Pharmacological principles governing the
use of Proton Pump Inhibitors: Tailoring therapy to improve GERD
outcomes The  supplement says it is based on a CME symposium... held in
2001 !

v. 33 # 1 Theme = Non cardiac chest pain
               Supplement = Maximizing the benefits of antiviral therapy
for HCV: The advantages of treating side effects. This supplement has a
CME questions and answers part, has  release, review, and expiration
dates for the CME activity.

As we know, the various .... Clinics of North America have a central
theme for each issue and although we can comprehend a little better than
the "lay person" what is what, I do not see a connection of either of
these issues and wonder why the supplements are not included as part of
a thematic issue?

Both Supplements are sponsored by different companies.  The articles in
both supplements are indexed on PubMed, so from now until the end of
time, someone is going to want to read the articles.

We had the 2003 supplement bound with the issue because it is defined
with the issue number and will probably do so with this one.

I hope that someone at Saunders / Elsevier reads this and forwards on to
the appropriate people who can come to a consensus about these
supplements and to either: 1.  Bind the supplement with the issue. 2.
Bind the supplement separately. 3.  Don't bother to publish the
supplements at all so there is no indexing. 4. Come up with some other
way to publish these supplements. 5.  Some possible senario not listed
above.

Chances are once supplements are published as they are here, it will
spread to the other ... Clinics of North America.

Sorry if my ranting/raving is somewhat incoherent.  I know you will
figure it out.

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262