Re: Indexes Discarding Carol Morse 13 May 2004 16:34 UTC

We have stored many print indexes in an off-site facility. We have
discarded only a few runs that were not important for the curriculum. We
keep Readers' Guide in the building, since it goes back to v.1 (1900).
It is invaluable for older info not found on computer databases.
Carol Morse

Address:
Walla Walla College Library
Periodicals Dept.
104 S. College Ave.
College Place, WA  99324-1159

Carol Morse
Serials Librarian morsca@wwc.edu
509) 527-2684; fax 509) 527-2001

>>> frohlich@MAIL.MCNEESE.EDU 5/13/2004 6:42:49 AM >>>
We are continuing to hold onto our printed indexes so long as we have
space
on the shelves for them.  Some people still use them.  Many of the
online
indexes go back only to the 1980's, so for earlier material the paper
indexes are needed.

In the last seven months Reader's Guide was used 13 times.

At  5/12/2004, you wrote:
>Hello Colleagues,
>
>How many of you are holding onto your Indexes (Readers Guide,
Education,
>etc.)?  I'm inclined to hold them since they come in handy when the
>computers are down. Please give me your reasons to hold on to them.
We
>stopped taking them in the late 90's.
>
>Joyce

Anne Frohlich, Serials Librarian