Re: Accreditation lists Mays, Allison 14 May 2004 17:06 UTC

Susan -

We went through the same process a couple of years ago. Sorry, I don't
have a slick source for you about accreditation, but the only depts that
had any concerns were Education and Chemistry. Both depts seemed to be
aware of what they needed for accreditation.  We used Magazines for
Libraries by Bill Katz and their lists of core titles. But basically it
boiled down to what the faculty wanted. Ours was more of "maintaining a
collection adequate to support the curriculum" kind of thing.

One thing we did to "boost" the Chemistry dept was to cancel our print
subscriptions to the ACS titles and went with their online package. We
traded 9 print titles for about 30+ - needless to say, we're getting a
LOT more bang for the buck. This was an even trade financially. The
prof's are thrilled because now they can search full-text online in the
ACS website, and they can get TOC alerts. We did the same thing with
Psychology 2 years ago. I'm saving money on binding, especially with
those two dept's because those journals needed to be bound so often;
plus there are hidden savings in not having to checkin, shelve, claim,
and bind the paper copies. I can also see the usage stats every month on
the ACS website, broken down by journal title and IP address.

Good luck.

Allison

Allison P. Mays
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian