Re: CALL FOR PAPERS: Electronic Journal Management Systems: Experiences from the Field Paoshan Yue 02 Jun 2004 00:53 UTC

Hi Gary,

I will present a poster session at the coming NASIG confernce in Milwaukee
on the following topic:

Quest for a Centralized E-Journals Access Management System at UNR

I have a plan to develop it into an article after the conference.  I am very
happy to learn about the theme issue of the Serials Librarian on electronic
journal management systems.  I think it would be a perfect place for me to
submit the article I am going to write, even though the timeline is rather
tight.

I have taken the liberty to include the abstract of my poster session for
you information.  Please let me know if my proposed content fits the theme
of your special issue.  I also wonder when this special issue is scheduled
to be published.

**************************
Abstract:

At the University of Nevada, Reno Libraries (UNR) the emphasis on acquiring
online content began in earnest in 1998.  From 1998 to 2003, UNR's
electronic journal collection went from zero to 14,537 while the number of
print journals fell slowly from 5,200 to 4,596.

>From the very beginning, UNR made a commitment to provide users with online
access to full-text journals, found in publisher packages and aggregator
databases, via Web lists and OPAC with details such as holdings coverage,
embargo, source, open access, and local subject headings.  The metadata of
e-journals were first tracked on spreadsheets in EXCEL for Web lists and
were also cataloged in the OPAC, a dual-maintenance system which later
proved to be needing improvement as UNR's electronic journal collection
expanded.  UNR thus developed an interim solution and a long-term solution
for managing e-journals access.  The interim solution is to replace EXCEL
with Microsoft ACCESS in processing e-journal metadata, still a
dual-maintenance system but with greatly reduced maintenance work and
enhanced timeliness of e-journal metadata in the OPAC and on the Web lists.
The long-term solution is to generate e-journal Web lists from the OPAC with
streamlined e-journal metadata batch-loading process using Innovative's
Electronic Resources Management Module, which UNR is currently beta-testing.

This poster presents the trail of UNR's quest for a centralized e-journals
access management system, with a focus on the design of the long-term
solution.
**************************

Kind regrads,

Paoshan Yue