Re: How were holdings kept in the old days? Susan Davis 02 Jun 2004 18:50 UTC

At UB, we used the card catalog with a holdings card for "serials" which by
our definition were any serial publication annual or less frequently
issued.  We had a separate periodicals holdings list on those giant
printouts generated by mainframes.  The major downsides to the printout
method were the limited retrieval options...main entry with very few cross
references and batch updating resulting in less than current information.

Susan Davis
Head, Periodicals
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
134 Lockwood Library
Buffalo, NY  14260-2210
(716) 645-2784
(716) 645-5955 fax
unlsdb@buffalo.edu

My opinions are my own and in no way reflect the official position of my
institution.

--On Wednesday, June 02, 2004 12:12 PM -0400 Robert Dowd