collection analysis database Ann Ercelawn 14 Jul 2004 18:44 UTC

3 messages:

1)_____

Subject: RE: [SERIALST] collection analysis database
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:12:41 -0500
From: "Mays, Allison" <maysap@millsaps.edu>

It's basically the format: Access uses spreadsheets "behind the
scenes"
but displays them in a more user-friendly manor, one screen per
record.
I used to use spreadsheets to keep lists of our journals for my
Serials
Solutions list, but found it was too easy to make mistakes, enter
something in the wrong box. We moved it into Access and I have one
screen per record, and it's much easier for me to maintain. I can
still pull lists and import them into Excel - sorting can really
come in handy - but I like the interface in Access better when I'm
editing records.
Takes longer to page through but to me it's worth it. I don't make
as many mistakes.

Allison P. Mays
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Millsaps College
1701 N. State Street
Jackson, MS 39210
601-974-1083
maysap@millsaps.edu

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:23:13 -0400
From: "Sandhya D. Srivastava" <LIBRSDS@Mail1.Hofstra.edu>

Bernadette

Using MS Access allows you to store all the information in a
database.
You can then create queries based on any of the fields you have to
create different spreadsheets.  It makes the data easier to
manipulate
and pull from a larger database.

Sandhya

Sandhya D. Srivastava
Assistant Professor
Serials Librarian
Hofstra University
Axinn Library
123 Hofstra University
Hempstead, New York 11550
Telephone: (516) 463 - 5959
Fax: (516) 463 - 6438
Email: librsds@hofstra.edu

3)____

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:28:29 -0500
From: Tracy Englert <tracy.englert@usm.edu>

Thanks Sandhya,

Do you subscribe to a service such as EBSCO?  I am wondering about
how to input that kind of vendor supplied data. I would also like
to input our circulation data from our system as well as ILL data.
Do you do that as well?

thanks again,

tracy