Re: Direct subscriptions (4 messages) Lynn Cote 22 Jul 2004 11:15 UTC

Christopher,
We had two subscriptions to Sierra (for two different campus libraries).  In
June 2002 our vendor notified us that they could no longer service these
subscriptions as Sierra was "not available through trade."  Sierra
publishers must have kept both mailing addresses as both campus libraries
have received all issues published to date (and we've never had to claim a
single issue!).  Since they already have your mailing address it's possible
you will also continue to receive issues even though your subscription is no
longer serviced by your vendor.

Lynn K. Cote
Serials Cataloger/Serials Receipt Coordinator
University of Connecticut Libraries
Collections Services, U-2005AS
369 Fairfield Rd.
Storrs, CT  06269-2005
ph. (860)486-6495
fax (860)486-6493

From: "Linda Harding" <lindah@elmhurst.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:07:47 -0500

Christopher,

This is just a thought, but you might try contacting the publisher
to see if they would send you a subscription gratis.  About two
years ago we mysteriously began receiving this magazine.  We've
never ordered it nor are we paying for it!

Linda Harding
Elmhurst College Library

We just got word from our vendor that Sierra (0161-7362) could no
longer be ordered through a vendor but had to be purchased direct
from the publisher. To make matters worse the publisher, the Sierra
Club, indicates on their web site that they don't bill; all
subscriptions have to be prepaid with a credit card.

This isn't impossible for us, but it is an inconvenience. What
makes it really problematic is having to remember each year to
renew by credit card. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing
with these situations?

Thank you.

Christopher Allen Waldrop
Serials Coordinator