Re: checkin functionality and ILS system Bluhm-Stieber, Hella 26 Jul 2004 16:32 UTC

Hello all,
I am very interested in good serials systems and would like to know if
anybody can recommend a good affordable ILS system for a small medical
library with 450 current subscriptions? We currently use Serials Manager
from Phoenix Solutions, which went out of business, so that we need to find
something else. It was a very sophisticated system.
Many smaller systems we looked at do not have a good serials module.
Thank you very much,
Hella

Hella Bluhm-Stieber, MLIS, AHIP
Milton J. Chatton Medical Library
Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System
751 S. Bascom Ave.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 885-5654
Fax (408) 885-5655

-----Original Message-----
From: Irma Nicola [mailto:INicola@APU.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 09:32 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] checkin functionality

This has been a "bee in the bonnet" for some time, I think that serials
people would greatly benefit from some form of programming functionality
standardization at the serials checkin level.

This is my thought:

1.      Standardized formatted frequencies made as drop down functions
for checking record creation, goal to match most frequently 70%
frequency types.
2.      Serials contiguous checking per bib record format, essential to
claims history and opac management.
3.      OPAC display functionality to say what displays of the checkin
history, typically current or latest volume check in
4.      Volume/year status search capability-ability for anyone anywhere
to search by either indexing for holdings information regardless of opac
display limits.

Anyone who has additional thoughts on essential checkin functionalities
please email me off of the list.  I have been "into" serials for 5 years
with previous experience in public/private/clinic library settings since
1989.

Irma H. Nicola
Serials Coordinator
Azusa Pacific University