Title change question - Paraplegia News (3 messages) Ann Ercelawn 29 Jul 2004 22:14 UTC

3 messages:

1)______
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Shadle <shadle@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Title change question - Paraplegia News

AACR2 21.2A2. Minor changes

In general, consider the following to be a minor change in a title
proper:

a) a difference in the representation of a word or words anywhere
in the title (e.g., one spelling vs. another; abbreviated word or
sign or symbol vs. spelled-out form; arabic numeral(s) vs. roman
numeral(s);  numbers or
dates vs. spelled-out form; hyphenated words vs. unhyphenated words;
one-word compounds vs. two-word compounds, whether hyphenated or
not; **AN ACRONYM OR INITIALISM VS. FULL FORM**; or a change in
grammatical form (e.g., singular vs. plural))

    Steve Shadle           shadle@u.washington.edu  *******
    Serials Cataloger                                *****
    University of Washington Libraries, Box 352900    ***
    Seattle, WA 98195               (206) 685-3983     *

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Simpson, Sarah wrote:

> I am a new serials cataloger and thought I was beginning to get a
grasp
> of when something needs a title change, but this one threw me for
a loop.
>OCLC record 3615923 is for the title Paraplegia News.  It is now
called PN.  The record has been modified with a 246 10 that says |i
Vols. For <July 2004-> have title |a PN.

2)_____

From: RGildem550@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:55:30 EDT

Sarah,

According to the latest rule  revisions to AACR2, this treatment is
correct. I've read the minutes to  the discussion of this new rule
at the ALA Committee to Study Serials  Cataloging, and I can tell
you no one is happy with it.
The National  Library of Medicine has actually decided not to
implement some of the more  problematic clauses.  In the SERIALST
archives there is a pretty good  discussion of _Organic gardening_
which became OG in a 246 field.

Anyway,  the note in the 246 is the way it's been done since USMARC
format integration.  It looks funny, but it works very nicely once
you get used to it.  The old way of doing it was to make a 246 10
and a 500  note.

One thing I would do with your 246 is to find out with what
specific issue the change occurred, then put in that issue's date,
without the  angle brackets.

The people who update serial records on OCLC are just  about all
CONSER members.  Sometimes you'll find that they do something  odd,
but their cataloging is considered authoritative.  One thing I've
found helpful is to keep a file of sample printouts illustrating
some of the  ways the CONSER libraries have
dealt with sticky situations.

Rick  Gildemeister
RGildem550@aol.com

3)______

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:47 -0500
From: Shana McDanold <mcdanold@slu.edu>

The change from the full form of a title to an acronym is
considered a minor title change and does not constitute a new
record under AACR2 21.2A2, category a.

Also, see the CONSER Cataloging Manual, Module 16
    16.2.4 "If the entire title is replaced by a full form or
acronym (or vice versa), consider the change also to be minor."

The change is recorded in a 246 field with a subfield i stating
that it has changed and giving the date that the change occured.
Therefore, the addition of the 246 with the subfield i is correct.

The major vs minor title change concept takes some getting used to!

--Shana

Shana L. McDanold
Serials (and Non-Print Formats) Cataloger
Pius XII Memorial Library
Saint Louis University
Phone: (314) 977-3098
E-mail: mcdanold@slu.edu