Lets Set the Record Straight About Academic Journal Publishing Natalia Koudinova 02 Aug 2004 08:57 UTC

Of apparent interest to the members of Serialist:

---------------------------------------
To: "SPARC Open Access Forum" <SPARC-OAForum@arl.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:52:07 +0300
From: Alexei Koudinov <sparcoaforum@neurobiologyoflipids.org>
Subject: [SOAF] Lets Set the Record Straight About Academic Journal Publishing

Sara Brandwein
Director
Professional/Scholarly Publishing
Association of American Publishers, Inc.
71 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10003-3004

cc: Barbara J. Meredith, Vice President

Dear Ms. Brandwein,

I read with interest your report "Setting the Record Straight About
Academic Journal Publishing".

May I kindly ask you to publically respond on the following matter:
  A.  The unfair practices of major scientific journals (including
representing conventional subscription-based publishing system journal
Nature; Science magazine; Elsevier's Cell Press Neuron and Cell;
Elsevier's Brain Research...) illustrate editorial and publishing
institution corruption, and their apparent inability to serve public
interest.
  B.  The presented evidence show that questioned journals serve a private
interest, and that there is no working mechanism to force these journals
or their publishing institutions to amend things and thus observe their
own broken self-declared ethical guidelines.

-- UK Parliament Science and Technology Committee inquiry on Scientififc
Publication (Ref 1). HTML rich version of this letter with the quote and
instant access to Reference 1 is available at the following link:

http://koudinov.info/openaccess/aap1aug04.html

I and others look forward hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Alexei Koudinov, MD, PhD
neuroscientist and editor
koudinov.info