Re: dropping serial check-in? Dan Lester 17 Aug 2004 00:56 UTC

SA> If the print titles that you are buying are not
SA> worth archiving, why
SA> are you bothering to buy them?  I realize that in

Many things libraries buy aren't archived.  For example, plenty of
books are obsolete in a few years.  I think of all of the Windows 95
for Dummies, Office 97 manuals, and many other such things that I
weeded out over the summer.  Any library that is doing a responsible
job of collection management regularly gets rid of things instead of
archiving them.

SA> some cases you must buy
SA> print to receive online, but if you are buying much
SA> where this is not the
SA> case and you don't consider them worth archiving, I
SA> don't see the point in
SA> spending the money.

And then there are all the newsletters, current awareness titles, and
so forth, that few if any libraries keep.  Yes, we keep things of
local interest, but tons of things we receive on subscription are
"keep latest 2 years (or 5 years) only".  If we're missing some issues
of PC Week or whatever, it just plain doesn't matter.  Plus they're
online anyway.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA