Re: dropping serial check-in? Kim Maxwell 04 Aug 2004 16:07 UTC

I think it's also worth noting that there's a difference between dropping
checkin of periodicals (or journals, magazines, whatever you want to call
them -- generally, things received on a subscription basis where you pay
for a specified period of time and issues are sent to you as they are
published) and dropping checkin of pieces received on standing order (this
could include monographic series, annuals, blanket orders, etc.; you pay
for these titles piece by piece as they are published).

What Rick and his staff did an University of Nevada Reno is stop
periodicals checkin; I don't believe he addressed standing order checkin at
all.  At MIT, things ordered on subscription are called journals, and
things ordered on standing order are called serials.  Technically, I keep
pointing out that that isn't correct (journals are, of course, a kind of
serial), but the vernacular persists.  I don't know if this is common in
other libraries as well, but I thought it was worth clarification just in
case.

Personally, I can imagine stopping journal checkin, but I really can't
imagine stopped checkin of standing orders.

Kim Maxwell
Kim Maxwell
Serials Acquisitions Librarian
Massachusetts Institute of Technology