Does Assoc Am Publishers serve to guard integrity of scientific publication? Natalia Koudinova 04 Aug 2004 20:03 UTC

Of apparent interest to the members of Serialist:

---------------------------------------
To: "SPARC Open Access Forum" <SPARC-OAForum@arl.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:17:06 +0300
From: Alexei Koudinov <sparcoaforum@neurobiologyoflipids.org>
Subject: [SOAF] Does Assoc Am Publishers serve to guard integrity of scientific publication?

Barbara J. Meredith,
Vice President
Professional/Scholarly Publishing
Association of American Publishers, Inc.
71 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10003-3004

cc: Sara Brandwein, Director

Dear Ms. Meredith,

Thank you for your reply on my e.mail of August 1, 2004 (Subject: "Lets
Set the Record Straight About Academic Journal Publishing").

Your e.mail letter reminded that Association of American Publishers' (AAP)
report "Setting the Record Straight About Academic Journal Publishing" is
a public document (see below), but sadly showed no intention to talk on
the integrity of scientific publication, that my previous e.mail
explicitly asked you about.

I worry that one could interpret the lack of your determination on this
matter as AAP endorsement of a publisher wrongdoing. In my view the lack
of your response on the UK Parliamentary inquiry written evidence on
Editorial and Publisher corruption by major STM titles would catch public
interest in biomedical publication completely off guard. Is this what
scientific and lay public deserve from the AAP?

I send the copy of this communication to Public Library of Science (PLoS)
and to Congressman Martin Olav Sabo (because AAP report "Setting the
Record Straight About Academic Journal Publishing" opposes PLoS and
Congressman Sabo), to NIH director Elias Zerhouni (because of my
correspondence relation to his recent meeting with you and a number of STM
publishers), and to Presidents' Science advisor John H. Marburger (because
of my recent Open Letter to the President).

HTML rich version of this letter with instant access to reference
materials (labelled above in blue) is available at the following link:

http://koudinov.info/openaccess/aap1aug04.html#followup1

Sincerely,

Alexei Koudinov, MD, PhD
neuroscientist and editor