Re: Other Check-in Considerations Cynthia Hsieh 12 Aug 2004 18:53 UTC

One reason why we are looking into the possibility to discontinue
periodical check-in is our new system.  Our new system makes creating
prediction patterns and checking in more time consuming.

Before the time of automatic serials  modules, we librarians thought
automation would make our work much easier.  However, some of the
automatic serials modules in the market actually make certain aspects of
our work more time consuming and more complicated.

Instead of demanding ILS vendors to enhance their products, we
sometimes discontinue our services to accommodate the technology.  It
makes me wonder who is really in charge?  Technology or Librarians?

Cynthia Hsieh
Head of Technical Services/Assistant Professor
University Library
University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, CA 95211
Tel: 209-946-2571
chsieh@pacific.edu

>>> Deej Baker <dbc@virginia.edu> 8/12/2004 9:03:38 AM >>>

We would very much like to do this but our catalog system Sirsi makes it
impossible. You have to know the name of the library location for each
title BEFORE you check it in, this is rather difficult with so many of the
science titles that we receive and we have 12 libraries. Please don't stop
putting the barcodes on the covers maybe some day our catalog program will
catch up.

Deej Baker                      voice:  434-924-4958
Cataloging/Periodicals          fax:  434-982-4579
P.O. BOX 400151
Alderman Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA  22904-4151

--On Thursday, August 12, 2004 11:22 AM -0400 Bill Cohen
<BCohen7719@AOL.COM>