Re: Unbound Journals that stopped Rienne Johnson 13 Sep 2004 20:08 UTC

Jewel -
For us, it depends upon the subscription and the # of issues into the volume
we were when we stopped receiving the title. We either a) close out the
record at the last complete volume and send the other issues to a duplicate
exchange or backserve list, or b) we spine label and barcode individual
issues to place on the shelf with the bound volumes.
There are other things you can do with the issues (i.e. circular file) but
if you cancel your subscription as opposed to the publisher canceling it for
you, then others can get use out of the issues. :)

Rienne Johnson
Library Associate - Serials/Processing
Reinert/Alumni Memorial Library
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Jewel Rucker
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 2:42 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Unbound Journals that stopped

I'm curious what others do when a subscription has stopped or was cancelled
and because it is no longer a priority item, do you toss the unbound issues
or keep them on the shelves? We do not send them to the bindery, but save
our money for the valuable current subscriptions. We are also worried about
space and I am tempted to discard the stopped/unbound periodicals.

Thanks,
Jewel

Ms. A. Jewel Rucker
Library Associate /Periodicals Dept.