Re: Policy on dealing with defaced serials at academic libraries? Bennett, Pat 29 Oct 2004 15:34 UTC

I had a patron return a stack of newspapers with a x-acto knife in his
hand.  When I asked him if he was cutting things out of the paper he
said "It's O.K. I'm only taking a comic."  He had no clue he was doing
anything wrong.

Patricia Bennett
Magazine & Newspaper Desk Supervisor
Arlington Heights Memorial Library
500 N. Dunton A.H. IL 60004
Phone 847-870-3667
FAX 847-506-2650

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Christopher Allen Waldrop
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 3:39 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Policy on dealing with defaced serials at
academic libraries?

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had similar experiences with
people who were actually unaware that it's wrong to deface library
materials.

I know of at least one case here where a student was caught defacing a
scholarly periodical and was then surprised at being charged $125 for
the replacement copy. The irony is the student was surprised that (a)
we'd need to replace a copy of a periodical that had been defaced and
(b) that we charge students when we catch them.

--On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 2:33 PM -0400 SERIALST Moderator

Christopher Allen Waldrop
Serials Coordinator
Order Services Department
Vanderbilt University Library