Re: In-house serial dept manual Barbara Gushrowski 11 Oct 2004 15:52 UTC

Dear Serial List Members:

I can appreciate the interest in the in-house department manual - the one
we developed took several weeks of concentrated effort on the part of all
members of the Serials Department.

When the original request went out from Michele Pope I forwarded her the
Table of Contents and a few other sections of our manual. I was happy to
do this because I know how difficult it is to get started with these
things.

I'm a little taken a-back however, by the numerous requests for the entire
text of another library's manual. For one thing, the manual necessarily
will be heavily geared toward that library's ILS and work flow.

Secondly, if there is such a great deal of interest perhaps Ms. Parker or
her library (or for that matter my own library) should consider developing
an ALA publication on the subject.

I'm not sure all the requestors appreciate the time and effort required to
produce such a document or they might not be so ready to ask for a free
copy.

Just my thoughts.

Barb

Barbara A. Gushrowski, MLS