Re: Price increases for 2005 (Sandy Srivastava) Kim Maxwell 16 Nov 2004 22:08 UTC

Hi Sandy,

I think you need to look at the individual price increases, rather than
lumping them all together.  Here is some quick research on the titles you
mention:

Harvard Law Review
For years, we've paid about $50, most recently $55 last year.  Now, our
cost is $200. I suspect HLR has instituted an individual vs institution
subscription price recently, though I can't tell for sure from their web
site; if you have access to the actual issues, compare the statement on the
verso of the title page.  However, the web site also says that "Nonprofit
institutions may receive a discounted annual subscription for $95."  My
guess is that your subscription agent and my subscription agent are unaware
of this special price, and should be made aware of it.  See
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/order.shtml#subscriptions for more details.

Personnel Psychology
I think this title just switched to Blackwell Publishing; they only have
v.57:no.3 (2004:Sept.) up on their web site, and I seem to recall it used
to be published without the benefit of a commercial publisher.  We've been
paying $70/year for several years now.  Prices are now at
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0031-5826.  For an
institution, the cost for 2005 will be around $300, depending upon what
kind of subscription you want (premium print plus online, standard print
plus online, or online only).

We don't subscribe to the other title you mention, so I can't comment on
that one in terms of our own price history.  Based on these two examples, I
think you need to look at changes in publisher and changes in subscription
models.  That should give you a clearer picture of why certain titles are
increasing more than you might expect.

Kim
Kim Maxwell
Serials Acquisitions Librarian