Re: Scam alert: Watch out for phone calls from "Mrs. Larson"/American Directory Listing Kate Isaacs 17 Dec 2004 20:39 UTC

I've been sharing this discussion with my husband because he has been involved in Security angles of his profession in various degrees (I.T., disaster preparedness and business continuity, and so on) for years now and finds this sort of thing interesting.

I, also, as some of you have expressed, find myself amazed that such tactics are used as we have seen described in today's discussion, because it seems so obvious that simply asking for the fax in question or asking for the details or for that matter saying, "Why yes, let me transfer you to our attorney right now, just one moment," (and see if they can hang up before you complete the transfer button-pushing!; if not, let them stammer their way through getting off the phone with the attorney---if you even knew how to transfer them to said individual; if not, I might say I was transferring them to the attorney but really transfer them to in-house security or some such) would stop the whole thing in its tracks . . . but my husband just remarked to me about why such "social engineering" (as he has called it for years; that or "social hacking") tactics do succeed:

"As crazy as it sounds, large institutions are still vulnerable to this simplistic attack.    Meek receptionists or students manning phones on the front lines are easily cowed by this attack, (unless properly trained - a generally lacking component).  Then the invoice comes into a overburdened Accounts Payable department which in my experience will
immediately pay invoices under a certain amount (~$1,000) and find out more about it later.  (When it's too late.)  This is the kind of situation these scam artists are counting on.  Unfortunately they are more successful than not.

Security Awareness is NOT just about IT - with viruses, worms, etc.  It will teach people, especially those on the front lines taking these kinds of calls, what they need to know to properly handle them."

Rick Anderson's book probably addresses that very thing for that very reason.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of P V Picerno
	Sent: Fri 12/17/2004 12:45 PM
	To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
	Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Scam alert: Watch out for phone calls from "Mrs. Larson"/American Directory Listing

	Cindy,

	I also can't imagine what scam artist would try to bilk an institution by
	threatening a lawsuit as the opening line of a conversation!
	My first reaction would be to ask "Mrs. Larson" to send (fax) me a copy of
	the fax in question so that I could check what it was about before
	proceeding to take any action about it. I would think that if she were
	unable to send a fax of the fax that that would end the conversation right
	there. The other tack (which might also stop things dead in the water) would
	be to ask what the fax was about because if it was an order or regarding an
	invoice, then I would have the original copy of the fax which was allegedly
	sent and therefore could address its contents.
	As scams go, it sounds like these folks have some things to learn -- I mean,
	if they want to trump up a non-paid invoice or phony order, then the
	business office would be the place to go to to resolve that (if not the
	acquisitions department itself). Furthermore, in any kind of legal action,
	THEIR legal counsel talks to YOUR legal counsel and if things have gone that
	far, their lawyer already knows who your lawyer is.
	Maybe we should send Mrs. Larson a list of other known scam-agents so that
	she could get some mentoring!!

	Peter Picerno

	Dr. Peter V. Picerno
	Scarborough-Phillips Library