Re: checking in online journals Pennington, Buddy D. 15 Dec 2004 15:33 UTC

 This is an interesting question.  How do you know when the next issue
is available online?  I can't imagine libraries having the staff hours
to periodically print off a list and check each of the titles to see if
new issues are available and then check in those issues.

Many libraries are forced to assume that access is fine until a problem
is reported.  That is the case here.  We use Serials Solutions so there
is some reliance on them to make sure the links are working etc.  Some
also use link checkers to check for broken links.  I rely on public
services staff to contact me if we have an access problem based on our
subscriptions.  With the constant changes (publishers changing portal
sites, etc.), we typically end up reviewing batches of titles
periodically.

A compromise might be to check the access instead of checking in the
actual issues.  So periodically (monthly, quarterly, annually, etc.),
you print off a title list and have a student check to see if they can
access an article from the current issue.

Buddy Pennington
Serials Acquisitions Librarian
UMKC - University Libraries
800 E. 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
816-235-1548
816-333-5584 (fax)
penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Connecting Learners to the World of Knowledge

www.umkc.edu/lib