Re: Mobil travel guide. Northwest & Alaska Steve Shadle 25 Jan 2005 16:49 UTC

To (hopefully) close this thread.  In further private conversation with
Robert, it turns out the title page presentation still only says
"Northwest" not "Northwest & Alaska".  The phrase "Northwest & Alaska"
only appears on the cover (at least as Robert has reported).  There is an
additional phrase ambiguously presented in smaller font ("with Alaska,
Idaho, Oregon, Washington") in conjuction with the title, but the
cataloger who last edited this record didn't consider it part of the title
proper, and instead, transcribed it as a quoted note.

I agree with Marlene that change of scope should be reflected in record.
Subject headings need to be adjusted and the quoted note does indicate
current geographic coverage.

<soapbox> However, standard practice is that title page is our first
choice (among many) for transcription title transcription.  If we don't
have agreement on choice of source for transcription, then the result is
multiple records, with different title propers, all representing the same
thing and no agreement on when a title 'changes'. <\soapbox>
--Steve

     Steve Shadle          shadle@u.washington.edu  *******
     Serials Access Librarian                         *****
     University of Washington Libraries, Box 352900    ***
     Seattle, WA 98195               (206) 685-3983     *