Re: Core Journal Info Thanks Connie Foster 20 Jan 2005 16:37 UTC

Lois,
If you feel driven to turn this into an article, it really would be
interesting for Serials Review as an expanded topic. Thanks!
connie foster

Lois Schultz wrote:

>A few weeks ago I posted a question on criteria for determining core
>journals.  Thanks to all who responded. I was asked by three or four
>individuals to post the information I received.  So here is a summary of
>the replies.
>

>1.      It is a topic that has interest.  Two individuals requested that
>an article be written.
>2.      There are several different processes being used, the only
>processes that were noted more than once were Katz's Magazines for
>Libraries, citation reports and input from the teaching faculty.
>3.      Some specific disciplines have a core list or a list that is
>being used as a core list, i.e. Most Cited Legal Periodicals.
>4.      Ulrich's Serials Analysis system
>5.      Local use
>6.      Holdings at benchmark institutions
>

>At Northern Kentucky University we have also looked at what is required
>by accrediting agencies
>

>Lois Schultz
>
>Professor and Head of Technical Services
>
>263 Steely Library
>
>Northern Kentucky University
>
>Highland Heights, KY 41099
>
>mail toschultz@nku.edu
>
>(859)572-5275

Connie Foster, Head
Department of Library Technical Services
Western Kentucky University Libraries
Editor, Serials Review
1 Big Red Way
Bowling Green KY 42101-3576