Re: Core Journal Info Thanks John McDonald 20 Jan 2005 20:30 UTC

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for weighing in late on this issue, but this type of analysis
is exactly what Jan Lewis & I wrote about in a recent article in
Serials Librarian.  We focused on undergraduate libraries, but
the methodology described can be extended to any user or
subject-based group.  Our analysis was done before local or
publisher reported use was commonly available, but that would
certainly be relevant to include

Title:          Defining an undergraduate core journal collection
Author(s):      Lewis JS, McDonald JD
Source:         SERIALS LIBRARIAN 43 (1): 45-59 2002
Abstract:       The authors outline a multiple-methodology process
to develop locally relevant core journal lists for undergraduate
research. Criteria were inclusion in major aggregator databases, in
expert lists, and comparison with similar collections. They conclude
with a list of almost 2100 journals that support undergraduate
education at the institution at which they were then employed,
and outline other considerations when adding or canceling these
titles.

A preprint (final submitted version) is available at:
http://library.caltech.edu/john/UG%20Core.pdf

Hopefully everyone will find it enlightening & helpful!

Thanks
John McDonald
Acquisitions Librarian
California Institute of Technology