Re: Cancellation public display note Lynn Cote 02 Feb 2005 14:58 UTC

Mykie,
Until 2 years ago when we began converting from print to
electronic we used one standard cancellation note.  For our
cancelled journals (received in multiple formats -- print,
fiche, film) we added the note *Subscription cancelled*.
Since our holdings record stated inclusive holdings we
assumed that our Public Service staff and patrons would know
that the subscription was cancelled effective with the last
volume noted in the holdings.  Since we've never received
requests to further qualify this note (which we've used
since the early '90s) I assume that it has been adequate.
We continue to use this note for all journals that have been
cancelled (no continuing subscription in any format).

With the conversion of thousands of titles from print to
electronic however, we began using the note: *Print
subscription cancelled* as a way to tell our patrons that we
still provide access to that publication in another format
and to look further when they see closed holdings with this
cancellation note.  In our case when this note is used, the
*print* has always been converted to online access.  When we
began using this particular public note an explanatory note
was sent to our Public Service/Regional Campus Libraries
staff explaining the purpose/rationale for this particular
change.

The note you use certainly provides concise cancellation
information *at a glance*.  For us, the only drawback I can
see with using the year (Cancelled for 2005) would be if
holdings were closed with any vols./yrs. other than 2004
which could happen for numerous reasons -- unserviced or
lapsed subscriptions, or subscription *behind* publication
schedule.  Would the patron look further for explicit
holdings information once s/he saw the cancellation year, or
would s/he automatically assume that if the title was
cancelled for 2005 you would have material through 2004?
Perhaps the year could be used when no gap exists.

I'm always looking for more meaningful public notes to use
and am certainly interested in seeing what notes other folks
have used.

--Lynn

Lynn K. Cote
Serials Cataloger/Serials Receipt Coordinator
Collections Services, U-2005
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
369 Fairfield Rd.