Re: A-Z Lists vs. the OPAC Martha Coleman 11 Feb 2005 20:21 UTC

Hi Tony,
We are a small university (6,000 head count and 4,640 FTE) and we use
Serials Solutions as our main identifier of full text (paper, microform
and online).  In order for our local holdings to show up in the A-Z
List I had to send a file and they show up just fine.  The "UA Fort
Smith Print Holdings" link goes directly to our online catalog, does an
ISSN search and displays the holdings.  We also have a few titles that
are online only or online comes with paper and the link to the full
text is out of our catalog (856 field).

I am a one-person operation here and would not have the time to
download marc records for all of our online databases as this would
have to be done at lease on a quarterly basis to keep up with the
changes.  Serials Solutions A-Z List is wonderful and I only wish that
we could afford to link directly to the article.  We currently have the
Journal Linker product that links to the journal and then you have to
drill down to the year, then issue, then article.  Certainly easier
than going to the shelves :o)

You can set up a link in most of the databases directly to the A-Z List
and it appears in every citation where full text is not supplied by the
vendor.  We also added a link to Interlibrary Loan as the next logical
step...no full text? click on the A-Z List...0 hits in the A-Z List?
click on ILL.

Here is a link to our library home page.  The "Does the library have
this journal?" link in the left menu bar is the Serials Solution A-Z
List.

I hope this is what you were asking.  I know it sounds like I work for
Serials Solutions but I am just impressed with their product.  If I can
help just let me know.  I remember what it was like "being new to
serials."
Martha

Tony Goodwyn wrote:

>Hello, serialists!
>
>Recently, the idea was raised about taking an A-Z List
>from a link resolver and using it almost completely in
>lieu of the library OPAC to search for journal
>information.
>
>I'm wondering a few things about this, and, being
>pretty new to serials, I'd really like some opinions
>about it.  I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm not sure
>I have the perspective to see what some potential
>problems might be.  Does anyone on this list have
>experience in dealing with this subject?  Any advice,
>issues, or considerations I should know about?
>
>Any input would be appreciated.
>
>Best,
>Tony
>
>Tony Wren Goodwyn
>Serials/Electronic Access Librarian
>St. Olaf College
>1520 St. Olaf Ave.
>Northfield, MN 55057

>Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.
>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Martha Coleman
Reference/Serials Librarian
University of Arkansas - Fort Smith