Re: A-Z Lists vs. the OPAC Marshall, Susan 11 Feb 2005 20:43 UTC

Hi Tony,
  By having an A-Z list as well as links to your online titles in your
catalog (856 fields), this implies 2 separate link maintenance points.
Why not put your link resolver link in your catalog for your online
journal titles? This way, you won't have to constantly be adjusting your
856 links whenever a publisher or vendor changes their links or when a
title jumps to a different publisher. The link resolver link will take
the library user to a screen that displays links to the journal in all
of the databases that it occurs because it is pulling information from
your A-Z list. Thus, you have one link maintenance point: that of your
A-Z list.

In the case of a library that has Journal Linker as in Martha's case,
you could put a link to Journal Linker in your catalog and not have to
maintain the 856's.

 Susan P. Marshall
Electronic Resources Librarian
Assistant Professor