Re: A-Z Lists vs. the OPAC Winward, Kyle D 11 Feb 2005 21:48 UTC

Tony:

I am a little confused about some of the previous respondents using the
terminology of link resolver links for journal title level access,
wouldn't the source of such links come from a journal tracker A to Z
list not an OpenURL resolver, e.g., TDNet A to Z list not TOUR (TDNet
OpenURL Resolver)? Our intentions of using a resolver are to ultimately
link beyond the journal level to the article level. It strikes me that a
purchase of a tracker would be sufficient for linking at the journal
title level; why spend the extra money on a resolver if your primary
concern is to link to a source at the title level not article level?

We have a type of hybrid system where we use a local system to store
subscribed e-journal titles and the 856 fields in our OPAC link to these
records. However, we use TDNet Main Site to list our e-journal titles,
either publisher direct, vendors or aggregators. Our local system also
encodes our proxy server settings for IP authentication; it would be a
complex operation to migrate these settings to our tracker/resolver. We
are hoping to do the reverse and load TDNet's information into our
e-journal list/proxy server, which by the way necessitates an extra fee.
If you are using a proxy server, it would be of definite importance to
consider any potential tracker or resolver's compatibility with such a
system.

If you would like any additional information on our local process or
setup, I would be glad to provide it.

Sincerely,

Kyle D. Winward
Assistant Collection Development Librarian/Assistant Professor
Duane G. Meyer Library
Southwest Missouri State University
901 South National Avenue
Springfield, MO 65804-0095