Re: Archival Access to Online Purchases Susan Wishnetsky 10 Mar 2005 16:36 UTC

At 09:32 AM 3/10/2005, you wrote:
>I am in the process of trying to verify what happens to our access if we
>convert our print titles to online subscriptions and then later have to
>cancel the online as well.  In most cases I am finding that we will
>continue to "own" purchased online volumes even if we eventually cancel
>the title completely ...

Yes, in many cases the provider does promise you ownership of archival
volumes you purchased, but it's not uncommon, down the road, for that
provider to suddenly announce that they have lost the rights to that
publication, or they've sold or transferred the rights to some other
provider -- a provider that may or may not honor your original
contract.  (Even worse, sometimes this happens and they *don't* announce it
-- you just find one day that your archive has disappeared and have to ask
your provider why!)  Using a "reputable", high-profile provider is no
protection!  Can you sue?  Maybe, but who?  And is it worth it?  SW

Susan Wishnetsky
Serials and Electronic Collections Librarian
Galter Health Sciences Library
The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008

(312) 503-9351
FAX (312) 503-1204