Re: Binding Incomplete volumes Duhon, Lucy C 11 Mar 2005 22:38 UTC

Sylvia,

We try to avoid binding our volumes incomplete (temporarily
"thermabinding" them while we search for the needed issues), but we
often end up binding them incomplete after exhausting all measures to
obtain replacement issues.  In this case, we insert a leaf (ideally in a
color that stands out) in place of the missing issue(s), stating what's
lacking.  On the spine we include the word INCOMPLETE, beneath the
enumeration and chronology.  Our catalog holdings indicate which volumes
are incomplete (without going down to the issue level information).

(When we thermabind a volume, we place a label on the front stating
"Incomplete" and exactly what issues are missing.  We generally keep the
check-in information in the card for these issues for as long as we
search for replacements.)

I hope this helps.

Lucy Duhon
Serials Librarian