Re: Late Newspapers, etc. Patricia M. Breno 22 Mar 2005 22:05 UTC

All of our newspapers also arrive via US mail.  We subscribe to the New York
Times, Sunday only and it always arrives at least 10-14 days late.  One faculty
member gets his copies on time and very vocally cannot understand why we don't
have the same delivery...  And no, he won't share...

Our two local paper subscriptions are usually 1-2 days late, but Wall Street Journal
and USA Today are always on time....

Contacting New York Times was a lesson in futility--we are very small potatoes.
Our subscription agent hasn't had any success with this issue.

Pat Breno

Date sent:              Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:56:48 -0600
Send reply to:          "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum" <SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>
From:                   "BORCHERT, JAMES" <James.Borchert@SDSTATE.EDU>
Subject:                [SERIALST] Late Newspapers, etc.
To:                     SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU

Hello, we have been having a problem with a couple of our newspapers
coming late.  The two worst offenders are the Boston Globe and the
Washington Post.  These papers are arriving between 7-10 days late.
We purchase these titles through Ebsco, they have contacted them and
have been told that there is nothing we can do because they come
through the mail.

My questions are: Does anybody else have this problem (not necessarily
these titles)?  And what did you do about it?

I have one other, semi-related question.  Because of this problem, we
have considered switching these titles to an online-only format.  Does
anyone have any experience with this?  Among others, I'm concerned
about providing enough computers to maintain a suitable level of
access as well as cost of downloading.

Thank you in advance,

James Borchert
Serials Department