Re: JSTOR Print Titles: To Be, or Not To Be...? Schleper, Susan P. 05 Apr 2005 14:23 UTC

Tony,

In answer to your questions:

1. Our library's policy has been to retain the print up to the point of
the moving wall in JSTOR and send the older issues to Serials Exchange -
a serials redistribution service in our state.
2.  Space limitations are less of a problem than are financial
limitations.  We've had to make decisions like this in order to continue
subscriptions as best we can.  We have also been cutting any microfiche
that becomes available in JSTOR.  We haven't had any complaints as most
students, and increasingly faculty, like to access articles online.
3. Accessing print down the road, could be a problem.  I think our
serials consortium is fairly overwhelmed with the volume of titles it
gets.  When we do request titles to fill a run or replace a lost issue,
it can take quite a while to get it.

Cheers,
Susan

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Tony Goodwyn
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 4:03 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] JSTOR Print Titles: To Be, or Not To Be...?

I was wondering if some of my fellow serialists would give me some
feedback with regard to a little quandary we're facing in Northfield.

We have access to quite a few of our print titles electronically through
JSTOR, and are considering whether or not to "redistribute" the back
issues covered by the electronic version.  We don't have a remote
storage facility, so we'd basically be giving them to a serials exchange
or consortium if we got rid of them.  Space is also becoming a big issue
in our library, so there is quite a bit of pressure to get rid of them.

With all this in mind, I'd appreciate any answers to the following
questions, with any other comments you'd like to add.

1.  Does your library subscribe to both print and electronic JSTOR
titles?
2.  How do physical space limitations affect your willingness/ability to
go with both versions?  Have you had to cut out print because of this?
How was this handled?
3.  Do you find consortiums a reliable means of getting to the print
copies if you are unable to get electronic access for some reason?

Any and all responses appreciated!

Best,

Tony Goodwyn
Serials/Electronic Access Librarian