Re: III users - do you add item records for your periodicals? Patricia Thompson 06 Apr 2005 13:55 UTC

At 03:48 PM 3/23/2005, Kyle D. Winward wrote:
 >We are Innovative Interface users in a preliminary process of examining
 >the possibility of adding item records for our bound periodicals. My
 >question for III users who add item records for your bound periodicals
 >is are you doing this mostly for circulation purposes or for statistical
 >purposes? Since our bound periodicals circulate to a limited user pool,
 >we are more interested in the implications for statistical than
 >circulation purposes. However, we would be interested in feedback from
 >any III users who do add item records for their bound periodicals. What
 >are the main challenges in adding this process, both from systems and
 >workflow considerations? Also, for those III users who don't add item
 >records what are your reasons for not doing so?

We add them for inventory, statistical, and holdings information (in
addition to the summary holdings statement.) We have been retrospectively
adding them and correcting them over the past several years as we caught up
on deferred binding and did reclassification. So we needed to handle the
volumes anyway.  For newly added issues, we do not "count" the volume for
our collection stats until it is bound and barcoded.

Patricia Thompson
Assistant University Librarian for Resource Management Services
Jesse Ball duPont Library
University of the South
735 University Ave.
Sewanee, TN 37383