Re: Acquisitions and Ebay Guerin, Evelyn M 08 Apr 2005 20:17 UTC

We do not use online auctions. ebay can be very time-consuming. I've
hunted for journals on eBay to see what they have from time-to-time, but
I've mostly found that people sell their "vintage journals" mainly. Ebay
is not always a good place to buy things you can get other places. You
have the problems of sellers not delivering their products after you win
an auction (and have paid them) and other problems with dealing with
strangers.

If we can't find something after about 6 years of searching, we usually
bind incomplete.

Evelyn Guerin
University of Texas at Dallas
Materials Acquisition

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Amy Carlson
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 2:46 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Acquisitions and Ebay

Aloha,

I am exploring the option of purchasing materials through ebay or online
auctions in general. The University of Hawaii at Manoa and the state of
Hawaii require certain policies and procedures for our acquisitions
process.

If you have the time, could you share with me the policies of your
institution?

1. Do you use ebay, or online auctions,or have you explored the option
for
purchasing library materials?

2. Does your institution have a policy in place for using online
auctions?

3. What prevents you from using an online auction (acq policy,
technology,
time)?

4. What is your library type (University, college, public, specialized,
etc)?

Please respond to: acarlson@hawaii.edu

Thank you so much for your help. I hope to summarize answers for the
list,
if people are interested.

Amy Carlson
Head, Serials Department