Re: binding software Susan Wishnetsky 14 Apr 2005 14:32 UTC

At 04:25 PM 4/13/2005, Rienne Johnson wrote:
>LARS is very much a early Windows-style program, with a single interface
>for each task, adding/deleting titles, making jobs, running reports ...

I don't think anyone is a HUGE fan of LARS, but I could correct a couple of
things here, starting with there being a single interface for adding/deleting
titles.  Maybe it wasn't possible when Rienne used it, but one can now add
titles while adding items to the "job" -- you don't have to exit the "job"
to add
a title.  Might be possible to delete from there too; never tried
it.  There might
be other exceptions to the above characterization, too, that I'm not aware
of ...
but I'd say the description above is mostly true.

>The LARS program needs to be on a single machine ...

We mounted LARS on a server, and it worked.  After a few nasty server
crashes -- not the fault of LARS! -- we decided to put it on one computer's
hard drive, but it is still possible for other selected people to access
and use
it, by accessing the program on that hard drive through our network.

>the job must be transferred via diskette for our bindery ...

Maybe that bindery insists on diskettes (which are no big deal -- stick in an
envelope with the shipment).  Our bindery, however, now encourages us to send
the files via e-mail, which is also fine.

Haven't ever used ABLE, so that's all I have to contribute.  SW

Susan Wishnetsky
Serials and Electronic Collections Librarian
Galter Health Sciences Library
The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008

(312) 503-9351
FAX (312) 503-1204