Re: Brief records for e-journals in OPAC? Pennington, Buddy D. 27 May 2005 14:06 UTC

CUFTS (http://cufts.lib.sfu.ca) provides a free tool for creating MARC
records for collections.

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
UMKC - University Libraries
800 E. 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
816-235-1548
816-333-5584 (fax)
penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Connecting Learners to the World of Knowledge

www.umkc.edu/lib

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Birdie MacLennan
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:30 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Brief records for e-journals in OPAC?

Greetings,

Like everyone else, we are exploring faster and more efficient ways to
keep up with e-journal titles, current URLs, and holdings data.  We
subscribe to Serials Solutions' A to Z list and are using this to
generate a web list of all our titles.  We've been cataloging individual
titles in a single record approach in our OPAC.  The A-Z list picks up
on these, as well as titles we have in full-text databases.  We've not
been able to keep up with full-text database titles and/or to add them
as individual bib records in our catalog.

It has been suggested that we investigate adding "brief" e-journal
records to our catalog to provide links to e-journals.  I'm not sure
exactly what this means, but have been asked to explore the possibility.
So ... I'm wondering, is anyone else adding any kind of brief records to
their catalog to generate access to e-journals?  If so, how are you
creating the records and holdings data?  Are you adding the records
manually (in-house)?  Using vendor or publisher supplied MARC records?
Using OpenURL or Link Resolver services?

Is anyone still using a single record approach (print, microform,
electronic on one record) and finding a way to incorporate automated
maintenance for URLs and multiple holdings into a single bibliographic
record approach?

Probably more questions here, than answers.  Any information,
discussion, suggestions, etc.  would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

        Birdie MacLennan
        Library Associate Professor
        Coordinator, Serials & Cataloging