Re: How do you inform patrons of your electronic journal holdings? Daniel Jones 23 May 2005 14:08 UTC

Here is how we inform our users:

1.      We have Voyager.  We put information for each paid e-journal
subscription in Voyager.  We use the same bib record for both print and
online holdings. We add a holding record for online versions of a journal.
Following are examples of the holdings records in Voyager

ANNUAL REVIEW OF CELL AND DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY

PRINT HOLDING RECORD
852 0 _ |b ONLINE
866 3 0 |8 0 |a v. 11-, 1995-

ONLINE HOLDING RECORD
852 0 _ |b ONLINE
856 0 4 |u http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/loi/cellbio |z Online access
v. 12-, 1996-.

2.      We have a program that twice a day harvests the ONLINE holdings
information from Voyager and produces an A-Z list of e-journals on our web
site.   Following is an example of the entry on our E-journal list for the
above title:

Annual review of cell and developmental biology.
Online access v. 12-, 1996- [this is hotlinked to the URL for the title]

3.      We send an irregular newsletter to our scientists that announces
changes and additions to the E-journal list.

4.      We also have the 1Cate link resolver and all paid subscriptions,
plus a variety of open access/free journals (DOAJ, HighWire free journals,
PubMed Central journals, etc.) appear on that list, and we have enabled
OpenURL-linking in PubMed, Web of Knowledge databases (Web of Science,
BIOSIS, PsycINFO), and Google Scholar for all the journals in the 1Cate
database.

=======================
Daniel H. Jones, M.L.S.
Librarian
Preston G. Northrup Memorial Library
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research
Shipping address:
     7620 NW Loop 410
     San Antonio, TX  78227-5301
Mailing address: