ALA announcement-ALCTS CCS Cataloging & Classification Research Discussion Group Nancy Chaffin 02 Jun 2005 13:59 UTC

Posted to multiple lists. Apologies in advance for duplication-njc

ALCTS CCS Cataloging & Classification Research Discussion Group

Authority Control is Like a Hospital Gown,
You Think You're Covered ...

Please accept this invitation to the Cataloging and Classification
Research Discussion Group meeting in Chicago (Palmer House, PDR 18,
11:30-12:30 Sat., June 25, 2005). Our topics will center on progress in
authorities and we are pleased to welcome the following:

Qiang Jin, Original Cataloging Librarian and NACO Coordinator of the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will talk about her recent
work on Corporate body name changes: helping the user search effectively
and efficiently.

Glenn Patton, Director, WorldCat Quality Management, OCLC, will give us
a short report on Where the FRANAR-related work is taking us.

Shannon Hoffman, Subject Authorities Librarian, Brigham Young University
and a member of the SAC Task Force on Named Buildings and Other
Structures and her colleaque Rachel Wadham, Names Authorities Librarian,
will talk about Authorities for buildings and the report on the findings
of the Task Force.

In addition there will be a short business meeting to choose a new vice
chair for this discussion group. We hope you will consider volunteering
or nominating someone you know for this opportunity.

Please bring along your own questions and insights regarding authorities
and join us there.

Jimmie Lundgren, Chair, 2004/2005
Nancy Chaffin, Vice Chair/Chair Elect

--